Re: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New WorldOrder firmware...

From: Giacomo A. Catenazzi
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 08:10:48 EST

[ Added Arjan and the relevant Intel contact]

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:17:16 BST, Tigran Aivazian said:
Hi Valdis,

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

I built the -rc8-mmotd kernel, and built it with 'CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL
=n'.
Lo and behold, the microcode.ko was now doing a request_firmware for
'intel-ucode/06-0f-06' (which makes sense, the Core2 Duo in this laptop is
family 6, model 15, stepping 6). However, what I had in /lib/firmware was
the Intel-distributed 'microcode.dat' with updates for all the CPUs (which
used to work in times past).

What's the magic incantation to take the microcode.dat and create something
that the firmware driver is willing to use, or is this all borked up and
I need to do a major rethink or fix my config?

that's because it expects the Intel-supplied microcode data and you are
using the old style microcode.dat data.

I fed it the stuff I downloaded today from this URL:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2643&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go!

which gets me a microcode-20080401.dat that does the same thing. Is there
some *other* Intel-supplied microcode data I should be getting instead?

Oh, sorry, I assumed that Intel distribute the data in the format that driver expects.

There are two format of Intel CPU microcode and two methods to load it.
- old: the microcodes are in a big file, which include multiple
microcodes (for multiple CPU). The driver require a char device
and a user space loader ("microcode_ctl")
- new: one microcode per file, using the 'request_firmware'
infrastructure. No user space support needed.

Actually Intel provides only the old methods.
There was talks with Arjan and Intel about the distribution format
for the new methods. But I don't have any new.
I think that when the new format is fully specified (directory
structure, tar, gzip,...) Intel will distribute the microcodes
in the new form.

ciao
cate