Re: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd NewWorld Order firmware...

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 08:48:39 EST

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 06:17 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:23:48 BST, David Woodhouse said:
>
> > The recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The important change
> > seems to have been here (in 2006):
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=a30a6a2c
>
> Aha. That's the part I was missing. :)
>
> From the changelog for that commit, Shaohua Li wrote:
>
> "with the changes, we should put all intel-ucode/xx-xx-xx microcode files
> into the firmware dir (I had a tool to split previous big data file into
> small one and later we will release new style data file). The init script
> should be changed to ..."
>
> And apparently I got stuck between the unreleased tool to split the file,
> and the release of the new style data file.

That 'new style' data file is just the binary output of the
microcode_ctl tool. The kernel is still capable of finding the section
it requires, when fed the whole blob.

> Anyhow, it appears the firmware_request() was just a bullet loaded in the
> chamber waiting for me to pull the trigger 2 years later by setting
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=n :)

No, the recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The
FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL option makes no difference here.

> The behavior is explained, and presumably Intel will eventually release
> a method of getting the new-format bits, and all will be right with the
> world (or at least this part of it.. ;)

Some would say that Intel already released a method for making it work,
in the form of the email to which you're replying... does that udev
configuration not work for you?

--
dwmw2