Re: Is VFS behavior fine?

From: Breno Leitao
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 10:58:50 EST

Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
The result of it was that the '->delete_inode()' operation for
the 'xxx' directory inode is not called. It is not called even
after 'cd /'. However, if we do not do the 'touch tmp' command
(which actually fails), '->delete_inode()' _is_ called for 'xxx'.

So 'touch tmp' has a side effect. You may notice this by watching
'cat /proc/slabinfo | grep dentry' while running the following
script:
I tried to reproduce this on my system using an EXT3 filesystem, leaving the script running the entire night. When I wake up I found that the system disk was full. So, besides the memory issue, this problem also consume some bytes on your filesystem.