Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 22:32:57 EST

Alan Cox writes:
> > The only valid assumption here is to assume that the user is /unaware/
> > of these new steps they must take in order to continue to have a working
> > system.
>
> To a large extent not the user but their distro - consider "make install"
> --

Last time I checked only x86 had 'make install'. I regularly build
natively on ppc(32|64) and sparc64, and none of them implement
'make install' AFAIK. And on ARM I move the kernels over to a tftp
server for network boots, again w/o 'make install'.

Not that 'make install' is difficult. All it does it hand over to
/sbin/installkernel or something like that.

In the context of .config changes, 'make oldconfig' with 'select the
default' must IMO result in a working kernel similar to the previous
one. Anything else is madness or arrogance.