Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 20:07:07 EST

On Friday 04 July 2008, Grant Coady wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:42:37 +0100, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>>On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 16:39 +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>>> Firmware loading is just a matter of copying the file at the correct
>>> location (ie /lib/firmware) and with the name the fw loader expects.
>>> mkinitrd should do it correctly.
>>> But I wasn't aware that the tg3 has external firmware, so I doubt
>>> we have any rpm for it.
>>
>>It doesn't yet; that patch is in linux-next. The firmware is shipped as
>>part of the kernel source tree, and you currently need to run 'make
>>firmware_install' to put it in /lib/firmware, although we're looking at
>>making that easier because apparently having to run 'make
>>firmware_install' is too hard...
>
>Oh come on now -- not a case of too hard, it's a case of breaking _all_
>existing kernel build scripts.

1. Something in the header of this email is preventing me from replying to the
list, all I can get is your personal address if I try, Grant. However, kmail
can edit the to: and cc: lists so its fixed.

2. I am intimately familiar with my own build script, and I have a handy copy of
vim, so if the info to do the edit is available, this excuse won't hold enough
water to measure.

>Grant.
>--

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Solipsists of the World... you are already united.
-- Kayvan Sylvan