Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 03:42:24 EST

At Sat, 5 Jul 2008 01:13:22 +0200,
Olivier Galibert wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 03:42:37PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > It doesn't yet; that patch is in linux-next. The firmware is shipped as
> > part of the kernel source tree, and you currently need to run 'make
> > firmware_install' to put it in /lib/firmware, although we're looking at
> > making that easier because apparently having to run 'make
> > firmware_install' is too hard...
>
> Won't that break multiple kernel installs on any binary packaging
> system that cares about file collisions? Multiple kernel rpms
> providing the same /lib/firmware files would break things wouldn't
> they ?

Yes, it will, if the firmware blobs are packed into the kernel
package. In a long term, we can put firmware files into a separate,
architecture independent noarch package, though. This will save the
total package size, too.

But, right now, it's difficult because the installation and build of
firmware files depend on the kernel config. We'd need a make rule for
installing the all firmware files for that purpose.

Takashi