Re: Battery life difference

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 09:36:23 EST

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 04:17:01PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> . x61s with windows xp
> wifi on but not connected to any network, bluetooth on,
> display is in the less brighten state.
>
> . x61s with ubuntu 8.04
> all radios off (modules removed and hw switch off),
> display is in the less brighten state.
> powertop runned and I did what it suggested me
> to do. Also did some other stuff from thinkwiki on
> how to reduce power consumption.

You didn't say which battery you are using; I'm guessing you are using
the 4 cell slim-line battery, which is rated at 28.8 Watt-hours?

How many Watts is Powertop reporting that you are using? I'm down to
around 8-9 watts, and around 9.5 watts in "airplane mail reading mail"
(wireless disabled, USB modules unloaded, screen brightness turned way
down, laptop_mode enabled, all mail messages pulled into memory, and
reading/deleting mail using mutt, a character-mode based mail reader
--- if you use Evolution, your energy usage will definitely be higher :-).

> Well, what could still be using the system power so
> much ?

See http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2007/10/29/tip-o-the-hat-wag-o-the-finger-linux-power-savings-for-laptop-users/

- Ted