Re: pata_it821x completely broken

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 11:52:22 EST

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 12:41:58PM +0200, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> Samsungs). Seems like any drive that can't do UDMA fails (looks like MWDMA is
> broken). The controller BIOS creates the array fine but it doesn't work in

I've no idea if the BIOS firmware mode can do MWDMA to the drives. The actual
interface between the card and the kernel has no mode stuff at all.

> When I force the pass-through mode, it oopses (haven't captured it yet as it's > too long). Forcing pass-through mode works fine with UDMA-capable drives:

Interesting and definitely sounds like a bug.

> Then I created RAID 1 from the Seagate and Quantum drives. No matter if the
> rebuild process is running or not, the result is the same - the drives that
> form RAID aren't accessible, the other drives work:

I would imagine the controller fakes a hotplug event when the rebuild finishes
but that is guessing. The firmware mode is pretty minimally documented.