Re: Suggestion: LKM should be able to add system call for itself

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 03:01:40 EST

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 01:09:30 -0400
"Jinkai Gao" <mickeygjk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Above is to demonstrate that LKM is extension to kernel, and the
> system calls should be able to extend as long as the kernel is
> extending. So The LKM should be able to define its own user interface
> by adding new system call for itself.

Since we promise a stable ABI to userspace, this is a bit of a problem.

But... look today, we already have various system calls implemented by
modules. (example: sys_nfsservctl)
but to make it fully dynamic? Not a good idea... nobody would be able
to program to it.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org