Re: Keeping track of spin-down/spin-up and causes of spin-up?

From: Elias Oltmanns
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 04:08:42 EST

With reference to the subject, are you a physicist by any chance? ;-)

Stefan Monnier <monnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> In any case, I have a machine here whose disk keeps spinning back up
> on a regular basis, and I can't seem to find any correlated event.
> Is there a tool that can help me track down the reason why the disk
> is accessed?

You can do

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

temporarily, so all disk accesses will be logged in dmesg. You should
seriously consider stopping klogd first because your log files will be
swamped otherwise.

That reminds me that syslog could well be the reason for your disk to
spin up frequently. But then you might have thought of that already.

Regards,

Elias