Re: Spinlocks: Factor our GENERIC_LOCKBREAK in order to avoid spinwith irqs disable

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 11:58:57 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
Sure. Btw. I have no problems with your patchset, but if SMP guests
are seriously used on x86, just remember the fairness issue. At some
point you might find you'll need an even more advanced lock for Xen.

Perhaps. The spin lock has a bounded number of iterations before it goes into the vcpu-blocking path. At that point, it's no longer subject to the whims of the cache coherency protocol, and is explicitly woken. But it may still have issues when competing with a rapid lock-unlocker.

A ticket-lock variant with some kind of directed yield might be the way to go if it turns out to be a problem.