Re: New ext4 patchset 2.6.26-rc8-ext4-1

From: Jan Kara
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 15:54:10 EST

> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 01:19:04PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > Alex Tomas (2):
> > * vfs: add basic delayed allocation support
> > * ext4: Add basic delayed allocation support
>
> Strong NACK. For one thing the code added to mpage.c doesn't belong
> there. It's far inferior to the existing delalloc code we already have
> and that could be made generic easily, or the next generation code
> developed by Chris mason. It's an ext4-specific hack and doesn't belong
> into common code. I'm pretty sure we agreed on not having it in
> common code long ago.
>
> Also the code still deals with the !buffer_mapped and no buffers on page
> cases all over which isn't needed anymore with ->page_mkwrite implemented.
I'd just comment on this: We've experimentally found out that page
without buffers *can* happen even with page_mkwrite() implementation.
One path I remember we identified as possible cause is do_wp_page()
where buffers can be removed again from the page before it is marked
dirty. So if filesystem wants to be sure that buffers are really
attached to the page, I think it must mark the page (and through it buffers)
dirty before unlocking it...

> Similarly the !get_block case in mpage_da_writepages doesn't make any
> sense - it's never used and if people would want to use
> generic_writepages they could trivially just call it directly.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SuSE CR Labs