Re: Linux 2.6.26-rc9 circular lock with uvcvideo on resume from hibernation

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 15:53:49 EST

> uvc_disconnect() | uvc_v4l2_open()
> ... |
> mutex_lock(&uvc_driver.open_mutex); |
> dev->state |= UVC_DEV_DISCONNECTED; |
> mutex_unlock(&uvc_driver.open_mutex); |
> |
> | mutex_lock(&uvc_driver.open_mutex);
> | vdev = video_devdata(file);
> | video = video_get_drvdata(vdev);
> |
> kref_put(&dev->kref, uvc_delete); |
> |
> | if (video->dev->state...)
>
> kref_put() in uvc_disconnect() will call uvc_delete(), which will in turn free
> the video structure. uvc_v4l2_open() will then dereference freed memory when
> testing the device state.

I don't believe this is correct. I tried to explain it in my
changelog by saying "uvc_delete() does uvc_unregister_video() (and
hence video_unregister_device(), which is synchronized with
videodev_lock) as its first thing, so there is no risk of
use-after-free in uvc_v4l2_open()."

In other words, the first thing uvc_delete() does is call
uvc_unregister_video(), which will video_unregister_device(). Since
this needs to take videodev_lock, it will wait until uvc_v4l2_open()
returns (which it will do, since state is now UVC_DEV_DISCONNECTED).
So the video struct will not be freed until after uvc_v4l2_open()
returns.

As far as I can see there is no use-after-free.

- R.
--
Roland Dreier <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> GPG Key: 1024D/E0EEFAC0
Fingerprint: A89F B5E9 C185 F34D BD50 4009 37E2 25CC E0EE FAC0

Sending >500KB attachments is forbidden by the Geneva Convention.
Your country may be at risk if you fail to comply.