Re: [patch] power, xen64: fix PM_SLEEP build dependencies

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 16:23:43 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 of July 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

This combination actually doesn't make sense whatsoever.

PM_SLEEP depends (indirectly) on PM and the fact that it's possible to use a .config violating this dependency is a build system problem, really.
Your patch is correct, though. :-)
yes, that combination doesnt make sense in -git, but tip/xen64 tries the !PM && PM_SLEEP combination - see the patch below.

It shouldn't. There are many things compiled if PM is set that PM_SLEEP
depends on, most importantly ->suspend() and ->resume() callbacks of almost
all drivers. Ignoring this dependency is asking for trouble.

Doesn't that mean that PM_SLEEP should depend on PM?

I don't like this.

I'll have a look at the remaining related patches and see what can be done.

Jeremy, what exactly do you need the !PM && PM_SLEEP combination for, BTW?

See drivers/xen/manage.c. On the Xen save/restore path, I call device_(suspend|resume|power_down|power_up)(), primarily to get the system timers into a good state after the machine has been away for a while. Xen doesn't have a general dependency on the rest of the PM infrastructure.