Re: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

From: Mike Travis
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 12:22:27 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Another alternative that almost fares better then a segment with
> a base of zero is a base of -32K or so. Only trouble that would get us
> manually managing the per cpu area size again.

One thing to remember is the eventual goal is implementing the cpu_alloc
functions which I think we've agreed has to be "growable". This means that
the addresses will need to be virtual to allow the same offsets for all cpus.
The patchset I have uses 2Mb pages. This "little" twist might figure into the
implementation issues that are being discussed.

Thanks,
Mike