Re: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 13:36:23 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Christoph Lameter wrote:
>> Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>>

>>> You want to virtually map the percpu area? How and when would it get
>>> extended?
>>>

>> It would get extended when cpu_alloc() is called and the allocator
>> finds that there is no per cpu memory available.
>>

> Which, I take it, allocates percpu memory. It would have the same
> caveats as vmalloc memory, with respect to accessing it during fault
> handlers and nmi handlers, I take it.

Right. One would not want to allocate per cpu memory in those contexts. The current allocpercpu() functions already have those restrictions.

> How would cpu_alloc() actually get used? It doesn't make much sense for
> general code, since we don't have the notion of a percpu pointer to
> memory (vs a pointer to percpu memory). Is the intended use for
> allocating percpu memory in modules? What other uses?

Argh. Do I have to reexplain all of this all over again? Please look at the latest cpu_alloc patchset and the related discussions.

The cpu_alloc patchset introduces the concept of a pointer to percpu memory. Or you could call it an offset into the percpu segment that can be treated (in a restricted way) like a pointer....