Re: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 14:09:01 EST

Mike Travis wrote:

The discussion that followed was very emphatic that the size of the space should
not be fixed, but instead be dynamically growable. Since the offset needs to be
fixed for each cpu, then virtual (I think) is the only way to go. The use of a
2MB page just conserves map entries. (Of course, if we just reserved 2MB in the
first place it might not need to be virtual...? But the concern was for systems
with hundreds of (say) network interfaces using even more than 2MB.)

I'm much more concerned about wasting an average of 1 MB of memory per CPU.

-hpa