Re: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 16:22:19 EST

Mike Travis <travis@xxxxxxx> writes:

> The biggest growth came from moving all the xxx[NR_CPUS] arrays into
> the per cpu area. So you free up a huge amount of unused memory when
> the NR_CPUS count starts getting into the ozone layer. 4k now, 16k
> real soon now, ??? future?

Hmm. Do you know how big a role kernel_stat plays.

It is a per cpu structure that is sized via NR_IRQS. NR_IRQS is by NR_CPUS.
So ultimately the amount of memory take up is NR_CPUS*NR_CPUS*32 or so.

I have a patch I wrote long ago, that addresses that specific nasty configuration
by moving the per cpu irq counters into pointer available from struct irq_desc.

The next step which I did not get to (but is interesting from a scaling perspective)
was to start dynamically allocating the irq structures.

Eric