Re: Multiple MSI, take 3

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 08:17:58 EST

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:34:19AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> There is one idea that seems to model this cleanly
> without breaking all kinds of expectations.
>
> That is an irq with a very small data payload.
>
> In that case we wire all of the vectors up to a single
> irq handler that computes the payload as:
> payload = vector - base-vector.
>
> And then we figure out how to pass that to the handler in irqaction.
>
> To most of the system it is a single irq so it avoids breaking
> expectations about what an irq is.
>
> To everything else it is a little odd, and has it's own unique
> set of rules (which is good as well).

OK, I'm willing to play this scenario through and see where it takes us.

- The affinity now matches reality. Good.
- For devices without individual masking, the masking API matches
reality. Good.
- For devices with individual masking, we'll want a new API. Adequate.
- We'll still need to allocate an aligned block of vectors on x86-64.
No change.

I think rather than passing the 'vector - base_vector' integer, the
request_irq_block() should pass in an array of pointers as large as nvec
and irqaction passes the appropriate pointer to the handler.

a retrograde step."