Re: Lots of con-current I/O = resets SATA link? (2.6.25.10)

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Date: Sat Jul 12 2008 - 04:37:33 EST

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

Hi Gerhard,

Please run:

smartctl -t short /dev/sdc
sleep 300
smartctl -t long /dev/sdc

Wait 2-3 hours or more and:

smartctl -a /dev/sdc

I'm changing the disk one more time ...

Once you replace the disk please re-run the tests shown above and show us the output please.

How many SAMSUNG disks have you gone through, do they really fail that often?

Hello Justin!

Setup Power suppply:
sda-sdd are on the same power supply cable, sde, sdf are on a second one.

I changed the disk to a new SAMSUNG disk and the first raid resync did NOT work and I had 1 reallocated sector ...

Also the RMA guy at our very good computer store (http://www.ditech.at/) were helpfull in changing the disks and he hates the SAMSUNG disks because of high RMA rates ...

But:
smart checks were ok (details see below). The smart checks are shown as aborted, but before running the next tests they were at "Completed without error" (strange).

Now sdc has it's own power cable and I'm running a raid resync now.

Power supply is:
ATX 385 Watt, ENERMAX PRO82+

Load on power supply measured on 220V side with a true RMS Wattmeter:
Power off: 6,5W
Max seen at power up: 196W
BIOS: 114,1W
Linux idle: 92,0W
100% Disk I/O, 100% CPU load: 149,6W
=> Everything fine and as expected.

I'll keep you up to date ...

Hello!

It looks like it works now without any problems:
*) Serveral RAID checks (once a day)
*) smartctl checks were fine
*) Only one reallocated sector
*) Writing the disk full with random data

So the possibilities for the fault are:
*) SATA power connector (most likely I would guess)
*) 4th disk is now ok
*) Other 220V power cable connector through the Wattmeter

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/