Re: v2.6.26-rc7: Negative powertop values

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 11:37:35 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
On Tue 2008-07-08 06:52:51, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:48:45 +0200
Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[I assume you know that doing a software unplug you burn more power
than by leaving the cpu idle]
We should really fix that one day...
yeah but it's incredibly hard to get right (in the light of the bios
constantly changing what our allowed C-states are)... and the best case

What can happen there? So BIOS decides C4 may no longer be cool idea
because we have AC power now, but that does not mean C4 stops working,
right?

it's also the other way around; you put the sleepy core in C4 because C6 is not available;
then C6 becomes available and the sleepy core is wasting power;

Either way, the *best* case you get is to be equal to being idle.....