Re: [RFT] x86 acpi: normalize segment descriptor register on resume

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 16:24:31 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

Hmm, but the change was not supposed to break the s3 bios. Something
fishy is going on. It sounds like the s3 bios relies on some earlier
segment register setup.

If true this means the segment register reset would need to be moved
later after S3 bios ran. Saving/restoring is unfortunately not possible
because we cannot save/restore the hidden state loaded from the GDT earlier.

That really doesn't make sense, though. The VESA BIOS has to be entered in clean real mode; it's designed to be entered from reset, after all. There is definitely something fishy going on, but I don't think this particular aspect is it.

What's *really* odd is that this was required with the old code but doesn't work at all with the new code. The former is understandable, the latter is not.

-hpa