Re: [PATCh] x86: overmapped fix when 4K pages on tail - 64bit

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 16:33:21 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > with this patch, my 256g system still use gbpages for 1g-3g, 4g-256g
>
> 256GB certainly qualifies as "large system". But as Linus always says:
> Linux is not for servers only. Ignoring the small systems makes you
> look bad.

Yinghai is hard at work fixing long-time crappiness of the x86 memory
setup code on 32-bit and 64-bit x86 alike. Contrary to your suggestion
he has not been "ignoring small systems" in any way - he has done the
exact opposite: Yinghai has fixed a ton of small-system bugs and
usability annoyances along the way.

Your attempt trying to cast this much-needed cleanup, fixing and
robustization effort into a negative light is as pityful as it is wrong.

Ingo