ext3 filesystem error: ext3_get_inode_block: group >= groups count

From: Dhruval Shah
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 04:45:27 EST

Hi,

I am working on an Embedded System in which I have a Compact Flash and Linux(2.6.11) with EXT3 file system on Compact Flash.
Recently I changed my file system attributes to "sync" in "/etc/fstab" and then I am facing issue.

What I conclude after debugging is that when the application is writing to the file which is in /dev/hda8 (we have IDE interface with the CF) and if the system's power goes off abruptly then the next time when the system is booting it complains while mounting the /dev/hda8 partition that:
*[root@admin ~]# mount /dev/hda8 tmp/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda8,
or too many mounted file systems
[root@admin ~]# *
dmesg showed me this:
*EXT3-fs error (device hda8): ext3_get_inode_block: group >= groups count
EXT3-fs: invalid journal inode.
*
I tried to run fsck and e2fsck as well but it didn't solve the problem.

I have seen that some patch to the kernel is around for ignoring this error but I am not sure whether this is the genuine problem or I can apply the patch to my kernel and ignore it.

I wish to be personally CC'ed the answers/comments posted to the list in response to this posting.

Thanks,
Dhruval

Disclaimer: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it
are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally
privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of
this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
unless otherwise stated.Company has taken enough precautions to prevent
the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any