Re: [git pull] core, x86: make LIST_POISON less deadly

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 11:53:46 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
+config ILLEGAL_POINTER_VALUE
+ hex
+ default 0 if X86_32
+ default 0xffffc10000000000 if X86_64
This looks like a singularly bad pointer value on x86-64.

Why not pick something that is *guaranteed* to fault? The above looks like any future setup that supports 41 bits of addressing and has extended the page tables (yes, it will happen eventually) will find that to be a perfectly valid address?

It's also visually confusing, since it's visually very close to a real kernel pointer too.

Grr.

Why not use something sane like 0xdead000000000000, which has the high bit set but very fundamentally isn't a valid pointer, and never will be? And which is a *lot* more visually obvious too!

initially i suggested that too - but such addresses raise a #GP instead of a page fault so their decoding is a bit harder.

We dont do any instruction decoding in #GP handlers to figure out what happened, while in the pagefault case we know which address faulted, etc.

Perhaps we could try to make #GP handlers a bit more informative - although decoding instructions will make things a bit more fragile inevitably.

Perhaps make it 0xffffcdead0000000 ?

We could have the oops handler detect this address range, and point out the problem in plain English.