Re: [git pull] core, x86: make LIST_POISON less deadly

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 15:43:02 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> How about if the page fault handler checks for the value and prints
>> a obvious string? It could do this reliably, unlike the "grep
>> all registers for poison on #GP" method that was earlier proposed.
>
> The GP handler, you mean.

No i meant #PF because #PF can do it reliably (sorry wasn't fully
convinced by you earlier)

But ok doing it a little unreliably in #GP is better than nothing.

It would be cool if that function knew about the various poisons
in poison.h and printed them out by name.

That would indeed improve newbie friendliness of oopses significantly
I believe. Kind of like a mini AI in the oops printer.

I can look at that later if nobody beats me to it.

-Andi