Re: [git pull] x86 changes for v2.6.27

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 17:01:45 EST

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised that you'd say that for something that is a
> hardware-testing feature that needs a command-line option to be enabled at
> runtime. I have always presumed that the default value is the recommended
> value, and I would think that that is what most people would assume.

No. The default value should be 'off', unless it's _needed_ by people.

Have you guys looked at the size of the kernel lately?

Bloat is bloat. Just because it's conditional is not an excuse.

Having an in-kernel memory tester is in no way better than having an
out-of-kernel one that you pick at grub boot time, so the claim that it's
a "recommended" thing is likely bogus too.

Linus