Re: [SUGGESTION]: drop virtual merge accounting in I/O requests

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 17:28:14 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

From: FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:19:02 +0900

Now IOMMUs don't ignore the max_segment_size. We hit this problem.

It seems simply that max_segment_size needs to propagate
down into the block layer VMERGE code so that it can
act accordingly.

Yeah, I think so. I'll take care of that.

But I think that even with the fix, SPARC64 IOMMU still hits the
problem.

With the VMERGE accounting enabled,

- an IOMMU must merge segments that the block layer expects the IOMMU
to merge.

- an IOMMU must return an error if it can't merge such segments.

But the current SPARC64 IOMMU code doesn't return an error if it can't
merge such segments (as POWER's IOMMU does, as you know).

BTW. what should the block device driver do when it receives a mapping error? (if it aborts the request and it was write request, there will be data corruption). Is it even legal to return IOMMU error in case where no real hardware error or overflow happened?

Mikulas