Re: [SUGGESTION]: drop virtual merge accounting in I/O requests

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 19:16:45 EST

As you mentioned ESP driver, it declares .sg_tablesize = SG_ALL, so
BIO_VMERGE_BOUNDARY has no effect on the operation of this driver. Any
other driver where BIO_VMERGE_BOUNDARY does matter?

When BIO_VMERGE_BOUNDARY is turned on, requests that would not
otherwise fit into the device's limits, can.

Why would someone want to overshoot SG_ALL? ... and, shouldn't the
constant be increased then --- instead of making buggy BIO_VMERGE_BOUNDARY
expectations?

I'm talking about other devices, not about the ESP, here.

And which ones are those important drivers that need merge accounting?

A100U2W is an old card, I got it for $8.5 in bazaar, it does 38MB/s. This virtual merge accounting helps to stuff on average 4 more segments into the 32-entry table.

So the question is: to reduce number of requests by 12% on an outdated SCSI card, it is sensible to maintain complicated merge accounting logic in the core block layer? To me, it doesn't seem sensible.

Mikulas