Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Rene Herman
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 22:21:55 EST

On 15-07-08 03:52, David Miller wrote:

From: david@xxxxxxx Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with this, but the proponents of the seperate firmware are
listing the fact that the firmware doesn't tie up ram as one of the
big reasons for making the change.

Exactly.

Otherwise these firmware changes are utterly pointless.

The point of them is legal. Which everyone knows so could perhaps that particular dance be done away with?

The current patches allow to

1) load the firmware from userspace
2) load the firmware from the kernel image (vmlinux)

They lack the ability to load the firmware from the module image.

From a technical standpoint that seems an odd setup. As a driver author you'd either be satisfied with loading the firmware from userspace, or if for example you feel you're very much tied to your specific firmware, you want it to be as close to you as possible -- in the kernel image while you yourself are a module makes little sense. You couldn't for example just copy the single module around.

That seems a clear technical point to fix but after that, the point is legal. At least for existing drivers, this consists of distributions worrying about GPL consequences and wanting to seperate out the existing firmware blobs.

They do worry -- whatever those worries might be worth -- so there's the point. You may feel it not a good point but that's something other than no point existing.

I followed along on these flamewars and I'd say to reject these current patches on technical grounds until the ability to build the firmware into the module exists and merge it after -- even though people might feel there's little or no upside to them, I'd say there's little of no downside either once that ability is in.

Rene.