Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 22:53:19 EST

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, David Miller wrote:

> Jeff's not against request_firmware() in an of itself.
>
> He's against the fact that it's not possible to build a
> self-contained foo.ko module file any longer, and that
> would definitely be possible with using request_firmware().

.. but is it really that big of a deal?

If it were about not being able to build a self-contained non-modular
"vmlinux", I'd be upset too.

But once you can load a module, you can load the firmware. You just have
to _remember_ to move it along with the module.

I mean really, you're the one who was complaining that there was no
technical reason, but now you're apparently using the "alzheimer's
defense".

Besides, it's not even true that foo.ko modules are self-contained. We've
for years and years (pretty much since day one) had nesting module models,
where in order to load foo.ko you need to load baz.ko first. Yes, the
firmware file is named differently, but it _is_ different.

Linus