ext4 fallocate related crash on 2.6.26

From: Shehjar Tikoo
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 00:20:56 EST

Hi all

I've observed the following kernel crash during tests against ext4 fallocate'ion support on 2.6.26.

Stack trace is at:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/~shehjart/docs/ext4_fallocate_test_trace_2.6.26.txt

The test involved running the following program which fallocates a given length in bytes then writes to it. The above crash was seen when writing to an ext4 disk, 2G file, in blocks of 64k with fallocate requests of 1mb. After each 1mb of data is written to the fallocated space, another 1mb is requested. This write-fallocate cycle continues till the requested file size is reached. The trace is from one of the crashes from the various runs(all crashed). I must emphasise that after one of the runs, the test disk could not be mounted as the filesystem was unrecognized. ext4dev was mounted in data=ordered mode.

See the test code at:
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/~shehjart/docs/writefallocate.c

The command line arguments are self-explanatory. Run without any arguments to see the usage message. Do change the _NR_fallocate define at the beginning of the file to your architecture's syscall number for sys_fallocate.

I can run a few more tests if more info is needed.

Shehjar
PS: I am only on linux-fsdevel. So please CC if replying from another list.