Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 03:57:37 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
That's a totally bogus argument.
you misunderstood me. the people pushing request_firmware() are doing so on
the basis that they won't have to use kernel ram to hold the firmware. the
people pushing for having the option of building the firmware into the module
are acknowleding that this may use a little more ram, but they see it as being
more reliable.

I'm just saying that it's a totally bogus argument to claim that it takes less memory - Either way.

Agreed.

As to reliability, I don't buy that, especially with a generic interface, and with a way to link the thing in-kernel anyway. Using common infrastructure is going to be more reliable.

A more complex, multi-file inter-dependent system is more reliable than a single-file driver with built-in firmware, doing the same thing?

Come _on_.

There are good arguments for request_firmware(), but that ain't it.

The argument for request_firmware() is that it's a good _single_ interface to the whole firmware issue, allowing us to split up the driver from the firmware without every driver having to do some hack of its own.

Agreed.

Jeff