Re: From 2.4 to 2.6 to 2.7?

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 04:33:24 EST

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 19:47 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Stoyan Gaydarov wrote:
> > > For example, I don't see any individual feature that would merit a jump
> > > from 2.x to 3.x or even from 2.6.x to 2.8.x. So maybe those version jumps
> > > should be done by a time-based model too - matching how we actually do
> > > releases anyway.
> >
> > Does it have to be even numbers only?
>
> No. But the even/odd thing is still so fresh in peoples memory (despite us
> not having used it for years), and I think some projects aped us on it, so
> if I didn't change the numbering setup, but just wanted to reset the minor
> number, I'd probably jump from 2.6 to 2.8 just for historical reasons.

ACK. "Normal" users (and especially average journalists where most
"normal" users get their knowledge from) tend to know of "odd Linux
kernel version are development" (and will probably report it wrongly
that way if "2.7 is released").
Perhaps they learn the new model if 2.7 will never have existed and
people asked about.

[...]
> Anyway, I have to say that I personally don't have any hugely strong
> opinions on the numbering. I suspect others do, though, and I'm almost
> certain that this is an absolutely _perfect_ "bikeshed-painting" subject

ACK, probably the best. But others are surely better in proposing
beautiful colors.

[....]

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55