Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Frans Pop
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 12:25:13 EST

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You release 2.6.27-rc2 and I build it. Ouch! It fails to install, at
> > least if I want to install it _alongside_ 2.6.27-rc1 or other kernels
> > (which I do!). Why does it fail? Because dpkg's package management
> > does not allow one package to overwrite files already "owned" by
> > another package.
>
> question: how do you deal with this with the dozens of drivers that use
> request_firmware() even before yesterday ?
> the answer is critical in how to deal with this "new" situation as
> well ;-)

For Debian packages that was in the part of the mail you snipped.

The simple answer for my current use of dep-pkg for custom kernels is:
I don't _have_ any hardware that requires firmware that's split out with
current kernels.
Maybe I'll be lucky and will find that I don't have any with 2.6.27, but
I'm not betting on that.