Re: Dropping WUSB/UWB from my patch queue

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 12:32:20 EST

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:03:28AM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
> > Hi David,

Sorry for the delay, was on vacation all last week without email access,
and am on a business trip this week with very limited email access :(

> > In looking further at the WUSB/UWB code, it doesn't look like it is
> > going to make it for the 2.6.27 kernel tree due to the reliance on some
> > contriversial core USB changes as well as a total lack of documentation
> > for the sysfs apis.
>
> I assume you are referring to the usb_dev_reset_delayed() change here.
> This is only required by the wire adapter code and should not prevent
> the majority of the UWB and WUSB stack from being merged.

Ok, thanks for letting me know, I did not realize this.

> You should postpone:
>
> usb-add-usb_dev_reset_delayed.patch
> wusb-add-the-wire-adapter-core.patch
> wusb-add-hwa-hc-wireless-host-controller-driver.patch
> wusb-wa-abort-rpipe-request-type-fix.patch

Will the code still work properly for users with these patches removed?
If so, I'll reconsider sending this for 2.6.27.

> I will correct the lack of sysfs API documentation this week. Please
> advise on where the documentation should go and its style and format.
> Be aware that some of the API is experimental and subject to change. I
> will ensure the documentation is clear on this and that the Kconfig
> entries depend on EXPERIMENTAL.
>
> Would this be sufficient to reinstate the majority of the UWB and WUSB
> stacks for 2.6.27?

Yes. I'll take what you sent me, and try to reorder things to make it
so that we can get the majority of the code into .27, I don't want this
to live outside the tree for any longer either, that's why I started
working on getting this mess cleaned up in the first place :)

> > Because of this, I've dropped all of the patches from my USB queue, so
> > they will no longer show up in the -next releases anymore.
>
> In future, it would be appreciated if any issues with UWB patches are
> discussed rather than summarily dropping them.

Hey, they were not "dropped" in the format that they suddenly
disappeared, they are still around and useful :)

thanks,

greg k-h