Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: david
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 12:34:42 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:

So, how is this solved by Debian for already existing firmware packages?
Basically by making a separate package for each firmware file (or
driver). This works because there are not too many of them, but having a
huge number of tiny packages is a nightmare by itself.

Why don't you just take the kernel-supplied firmware and make it part of
the kernel package? The same way the kernel-supplied modules are part of
it?

David W has made it very clear that the eventual intent of this patch series is to remove all firmware from the kernel tree and have it shipped as a seperate package.

David Lang

You're sounding like

"Mommy, mommy, it hurts when I repeatedly hit my head against the wall
and stick forks in my eyes!"

and quite frankly, it doesn't make me go "Oh, poor baby" at all.

Linus