Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Peter T. Breuer
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 15:29:20 EST

In article <alpine.LFD.1.10.0807151122010.3017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Linus wrote:
> Why not just install them with the module (perhaps in the module
> directory, perhaps not), and just load them?

I also don't get why one can't put them in a module wrapper in some OTHER
dir as

__init__ fwFOO = something_huge_made_from_a_string ;
EXPORT_SYMBOL(fwFOO);

and have the real driver module just reference fwFOO in its init sequence.
Modprobe can deal with where to look for it. No kernel source need be
tainted.

Peter