Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied fromin-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 15:39:30 EST

Hi Henrique,

> > You release 2.6.27-rc2 and I build it. Ouch! It fails to install, at least
> > if I want to install it _alongside_ 2.6.27-rc1 or other kernels (which I
> > do!). Why does it fail? Because dpkg's package management does not allow
> > one package to overwrite files already "owned" by another package.
>
> I believe I read in the previous thread that some distros are already using
> /lib/firmware/<kernel version>/.
>
> There was also the suggestion of moving the entire set of kernel-packaged
> firmware to /lib/modules/<kernel version>/firmware, probably while keeping
> /lib/firmware as a second place to look for firmware so that we don't hose
> any system.

can we please leave the /lib/modules/*/firmware idea out of it. While
this thread is about the kernel drivers that need firmware loading, but
it is not the whole story. We do have hardware that needs a firmware
UART cases we can do the firmware loading step before any kernel driver
takes control of that device and currently these firmware loading
helpers look into /lib/firmware/ where every firmware file should be
placed.

Also the /lib/firmware directory was chosen a long time ago and you find
the discussion on the linux-hotplug mailing list archive if you are
interested.

That said, using /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ like Ubuntu supports right
now and then fall back to /lib/firmware looks like a sane approach to
me. However as David mentioned, this needs patches to udev first before
we go any step further.

Regards

Marcel