Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied fromin-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 16:10:17 EST

Hi David,

> > So kernel-specific directories do make sense. As does the whole "I
> > don't want to handle the pain that is udev scripts".
>
> I'm not violently opposed to kernel-specific directories. Ubuntu does it
> that way already, and it may well make sense. I'm not sure it's really
> necessary either, but it's an option.

then lets get the udev extension merged upstream (since it doesn't do
any harm anyway) and then install everything in /lib/firmware/`uname -r`
and see how that works out.

So Ubuntu will obviously not break since it does this already. For
Fedora deploying new packages for 8 and 9 should not be a problem at all
once the maintainer is convinced that it is a good idea. They update
packages all the time anyway. For the other distros, I don't know.

Regards

Marcel