Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 17:17:52 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Already started, in fact, since Linus said he would not reject it out of
hands.

Btw, I need to see it actually solve a real problem. As it is, I really think you've just painted yourself into a corner where you can't just admit that we can just load the firmware directly.

Kernel 2.6.26. Older userland w/ initrd requirement, plus module w/ compiled-in firmware.

Simply dropping 2.6.27 into that situation will produce an unbootable system, since the firmware would not get copied into the initrd.

That's not just a kernel hacker situation. Plenty of sites, even a few large Red Hat deployments, run newer kernels on a known-stable, older userland. RH does not actively support swap-in-your-own-kernel, preferring our own tested kernel, but new-kernel/older-userland is not uncommon.

With upstream as it is today, there are just too many little ways the firmware can fail to follow the driver it once lived inside. And the consequences of failure are delayed (until next boot), silent (until next boot), and notable (may produce non-booting system, certainly a non-working driver).

Jeff