Re: [git pull] core/percpu for v2.6.27

From: Mike Travis
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 17:26:40 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> in hindsight core/percpu indeed looks unfinished and direction-less
> without core/percpu-zerobased - but the latter is not stable yet.
>
> Ingo

Well it's very stable using gcc-4.2.4. The earlier problems came about
using gcc-4.2.0 and has yet to be determined what exactly went wrong.
(And I need to install gcc-3.2 to complete the build/test QA.)

Btw, is there a list of "bad" gcc's for kernel building? Or better yet,
can the Makefile script provide a warning when a known "bad" gcc is
being used to compile the kernel? I seem to recall that Peter provided
this list:

4.2.3 is fine; he was using 4.2.0 before, and as far as I know,
4.2.0 and 4.2.1 are known broken for the kernel.

Thanks!
Mike