Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10

From: Tiago Assumpcao
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 20:03:00 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, pageexec@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
you should check out the last few -stable releases then and see how
the announcement doesn't ever mention the word 'security' while fixing
security bugs

Umm. What part of "they are just normal bugs" did you have issues with?

I expressly told you that security bugs should not be marked as such, because bugs are bugs.

in other words, it's all the more reason to have the commit say it's
fixing a security issue.

No.

I'm just saying that why mark things, when the marking have no meaning? People who believe in them are just _wrong_.
what is wrong in particular?

You have two cases:

- people think the marking is somehow trustworthy.

People are WRONG, and are misled by the partial markings, thinking that unmarked bugfixes are "less important". They aren't.

- People don't think it matters

People are right, and the marking is pointless.

In either case it's just stupid to mark them. I don't want to do it, because I don't want to perpetuate the myth of "security fixes" as a separate thing from "plain regular bug fixes".

They're all fixes. They're all important. As are new features, for that matter.

when you know that you're about to commit a patch that fixes a security bug, why is it wrong to say so in the commit?

It's pointless and wrong because it makes people think that other bugs aren't potential security fixes.

What was unclear about that?

Linus

For all the above: no. And this is the point of divergence.
For you, as a person who "writes software", every bug is equivalent. You need to resolve problems, not classify them.

However, as I previously explained [http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/7/15/654], security issues are identified and communicated through what can be a long and complicated (due to DNAs, etc.) process. If it culminates at implementation, without proper information forwarding from the development team, it will never reach the "upper layers" -- vendors, distributors, end users, et al.

Therefore, yes, it is of major importance that you people, too, buy the problem and support the process as a whole. Otherwise... well, otherwise, we're back to where we started, 20 years ago. Good luck Linux users.

--t