Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 20:43:28 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
Where did you get this strange notion that mkinitrd is the _only_ (your emphasis) thing people use?

Heh. Maybe from the fact that I don't personally use modules or initrd at all, and have no interest in doing so ;)

Ok, so people use other things. Grr. I guess we can't just require updated tools, because we don't know what the tools are.

Yes, that's part of the problem :/

Everybody seems to love rolling their own stuff in this area, partly necessitated I suppose by the wide variety of ways to boot on various platforms.

Jeff