Re: Please add ZFS support (from GPL sources)

From: Mihai DonÈu
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 18:33:34 EST

On Thursday 17 July 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Fred . wrote:
> > Previously we have not been able to have ZFS support due to it being
> > licensed under the CDDL and the kernel under the GPL.
> >
> > Sun have contributed ZFS support to GRUB under the GPL license. We
> > could now use that code to implement support for ZFS in the Linux
> > kernel.
> >
> > http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists
>
> From what I can see, it is an absolutely-minimal readonly implementation.

There are a number of fs drivers in the kernel which provide read-only
support. The GPL-ed code might not be much (I haven't looked at it), but if
someone would spend some time to write a nice, clean patch which can be
easily improved, I think there would be at least one user out there who would
find it useful.

Of course, this could open a door for all kinds of incomplete drivers, but
these days people seem nuts about ZFS.

In second thoughts, maybe a fuse based driver would be better. :)

--
Mihai DonÈu