RE: Large increase in context switch rate

From: Alex Nixon (Intern)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 13:00:35 EST

Mailing
> List; Ian Campbell
> Subject: Re: Large increase in context switch rate
>
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > OK, but that still doesn't account for the relatively large increase
> > from 2.6.18 -> 2.6.26. You're using HZ=100 in both cases, I
presume.

> > The other variable is NOHZ and highres timers. You could try
turning
> > those off in 2.6.26. Also, CONFIG_PREEMPT could well make a
> > difference. 2.6.18-xen doesn't support CONFIG_PREEMPT at all, but
> > pvops(-xen) does.
>
> If it's that easily reproducible you could just bisect it?
>
> -Andi

I've bisected the majority of the increase down to some time between
2.6.18 and 2.6.19 - kernbench results are:

Kernel version Elapsed User System Context Switches
V2.6.18 232 427 28 32713
V2.6.19 232 429 28 52812

NOHZ and highres timers are disabled wherever available, HZ=100, and
CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y

Will continue further on Monday.

- Alex