Question: queuing timer interrupts

From: soohoon lee
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 14:10:55 EST

Hi,
I like to ask you experts what would be a better way to solve following problem and side effects of my solution.

There is a system and sometimes it should unavoidably block interrupts for critical jobs for couple of 10ms so will lost timer ticks.
But keeping the wall clock is also critical.
I thought about two solutions.
1. update wall clock when OS gets out of the critical section.
2. Add a hardware to count lost timer ticks, it's easy for this system.
So when the OS is able to process interrupts again, the hardware generates timer interrupts back to back to compensate lost ticks.

Thanks in advance,
Soohoon.