Re: [crash] kernel BUG at net/core/dev.c:1328!

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 15:21:15 EST

David Miller wrote:
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe the network drivers are few enough that it will get fixed, or
maybe the WARN_ON_ONCE() will just be removed and the rule not
reinforced.

I personally suspect the latter, since it seems to happen with just
about _any_ random network driver, including the common and
well-maintained ones (ie the Gods only help us for the truly
odd/random cases)

Yes, we'll see how this plays out.

Ian Schram just posted a patch for the NULL pointer derfer in
wireless Ingo reported, so we'll see if that bug will be fixed
now as well.

In the meantime: Is there perhaps something obviously wrong with drivers/ieee1394/eth1394.c's netdevice initialization? We do it in ether1394_add_host(), and shortly thereafter the crashing ether1394_host_reset() is called. So we have essentially

(add host)
dev = alloc_netdev(...);
initialize various members in dev...
register_netdev(dev);

(host reset)
netif_stop_queue(dev);
discard some stale 1394 stuff if there were some...
netif_wake_queue(dev); <-- crashes in __netif_schedule(dev);

--
Stefan Richter