Re: Kernel WARNING: at net/core/dev.c:1330__netif_schedule+0x2c/0x98()

From: Jarek Poplawski
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 04:50:01 EST

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:59:21AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:20:36 +0000
>
> > PS: if there is nothing new in lockdep the classical method would
> > be to change this static array:
> >
> > static struct lock_class_key
> > netdev_xmit_lock_key[ARRAY_SIZE(netdev_lock_type)];

> > static struct lock_class_key
> > netdev_xmit_lock_key[ARRAY_SIZE(netdev_lock_type)][MAX_NUM_TX_QUEUES];
> >
> > and set lockdep classes per queue as well. (If we are sure we don't
> > need lockdep subclasses anywhere this could be optimized by using
> > one lock_class_key per 8 queues and spin_lock_nested()).
>
> Unfortunately MAX_NUM_TX_QUEUES is USHORT_MAX, so this isn't really
> a feasible approach.

Is it used by real devices already? Maybe for the beginning we could
start with something less?

> spin_lock_nested() isn't all that viable either, as the subclass
> limit is something like 8.

This method would need to do some additional counting: depending of
a queue number each 8 subsequent queues share (are set to) the same
class and their number mod 8 gives the subqueue number for
spin_lock_nested().

I'll try to find if there is something new around this in lockdep.
(lockdep people added to CC.)

Jarek P.