Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10 (resume)

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 10:31:41 EST

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, pageexec@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 22 Jul 2008 at 21:27, Greg KH wrote:
> > > 2) Disclosure
> > >
> > > The goal of the Linux kernel security team is to work with the
> > > bug submitter to bug resolution as well as disclosure. We prefer
> > > -to fully disclose the bug as soon as possible. It is reasonable to
> > > +to not disclose the bug, since we believe any kind of bug deserves the
> > > +same attention and will be quickly patched. It is reasonable to
> >
> > No, again, you are using the word "disclose" in an odd way here.
> >
> > Of course the bug is "disclosed" in that it is made public, "here's a
> > fix for foo breaking".
>
> it's apparently not true when foo = "kernel's security model", hence the
> suggested change to reflect reality.

I heavily suggest using something else than "disclose".

For the security community, "disclose" doesn't mean you have the source code
for the buggy code and the source code for the fix. It means you have the
information that it is a "foo = kernel's security model" bug, and a
description of the consequences of the bug for foo (the security model).

This is NOT what "disclose" means for the Linux kernel, right now. Here,
"disclose" means "you know there is a bug, you have the code, you have the
bug fix". But you don't know that "foo = kernel's security bug", or the
consequences of the bug for the security model.

So just use another word, or properly qualify WHAT is going to be disclosed,
(and in this case, WHAT is not going to be *usually* disclosed).

Henrique Holschuh